- 1 baguette (loaf) of french bread
- 1/2 of medium red onion diced (my daughter isn’t a fan of onions, so I make them smaller)
- 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into small, pieces (don’t shortcut and use the canned chicken like I did once…trust me on this)
- 1 tsp salt
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons BBQ sauce divided
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
Add oil to a large skillet to cook chicken over medium-high heat. Season with salt & pepper. As chicken is cooking, preheat oven to 425. As chicken is cooking and almost done, add 3 tablespoons BBQ sauce, reduce heat to medium, and continue to simmer for 3 or 4 minutes, until chicken is thoroughly cooked and sauce has thickened. Remove skillet from heat and set aside.
In a small bowl combine remaining 1/4 cup BBQ sauce and marinara. Cut French bread in half and place it on a foil-lined baking sheet. Spray the foil with cooking spray. Coat each half of bread with the sauce mixture. Divide chicken evenly between bread. Top with diced red onions. Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella and cheddar.
Bake at 425 for 10 to 12 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Allow to sit for about 5 minutes and then slice.